How to Go About Your Us Visa Renewal in Nigeria
Do you have an expired US Visa and probably wondering how to go about your US visa renewal in Nigeria?
First, you need to know that the U.S. visa application process is the same whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your visa. Also, your visa may still be valid even if the passport your visa was stamped expires. You can still travel to the United States with your old passport containing a valid visa and your new, valid passport.
Visa renewal is only applicable to you if you are reapplying for a visa in the same category as your expired visa. For instance, if you hold an expired H1 work visa, you cannot renew it for a visit visa of (B1/B2). The visa you want to renew has to be in the same category.
How long is the processing time for US visa renewal
The visa processing time depends on the type of visa you are reapplying for. So, do not expect that you will get your visa faster or easier than anyone else. Here are few things to note if you are reapplying for a US Visa;
- You can’t reapply for a US visa in Nigeria if you don’t have a visa previously to the USA
- You can`t reapply if your visa has been expired for more than twelve months
- You can’t renew your visa if the last valid visa was cancelled or revoked.
- You can’t reapply for a visa in a different visa class than your previous visa. For example, you had an F-1 student visa, but now you wish to apply for an H-1 work visa.
- You can’t reapply for a visa for more than one visa at the same time. For example, you cannot apply for both F and B1/B2 visas at the same time.
- You can’t reapply for a visa if you lost your previous passport that had a valid or expired U.S. visa.
|Visa Type||Description||Fee Amount (USD)||Fee Amount (NGN)|
|E||Treaty Trader/Investor, Australian Professional Specialty||$205||82000.00|
|H||Temporary/Seasonal Workers and Employment, Trainees||$190||76000.00|
|I||Journalist and Media||$160||64000.00|
|K||Fiancé(e) or Spouse of U.S. Citizen||$265||106000.00|
|O||Persons with Extraordinary Ability||$190||76000.00|
|P||Athletes. Artists & Entertainers||$190||76000.00|
|Q||International Cultural Exchange||$190||76000.00|
How to Re-apply for US Visa
Thanks for the Dropbox US Visa renewal service. This renewal service allows you to apply for a visa renewal without having to attend an interview. The service is however only available for BI/B2 Visa holders, F, H and L visa holders.
- Visit the nearest GTBank to you and pay the applicable Machine Readable Visa fees for the class of Visa you want to renew.
- Visit the US embassy website to fill one of the forms you need to renew your visa and the DS 160 Visa application form and then print the application confirmation page. Ensure that you keep your receipt and confirmation page print-out.
- Visit the CGI visa appointment website for the US mission to Nigeria and click on the ‘Apply Now’ button on the top right side of the screen. Answer all the questions and if you qualify, you would be able to print out an application confirmation sheet with details of when to submit your application to the DHL facilities in Lagos or Abuja.
- Choose your preferred pick-up location for your passport and get a new visa!
Please make sure the details you provide are correct, including passport numbers, email addresses and telephone and your visa would be returned to your specified location within 7 to 10 business days. If you still need more help, you can contact the US embassy for assistance in your visa application.
What supporting document will I need?
- A current, valid passport
- Any passports containing previously-issued U.S. visas
- A duly filled renewal application form. It can be Form I-797 (H and L work visas), Form I-20 (F and M student visas) and Form DS-2019 (J exchange visitor visa)
Have you renewed your US visa recently? Do you have more suggestion or comments? Please share with us…We’d like to hear from you!
All information on this blog page was correct at the time of publishing and may change at any time without prior notice. Travelstart is not affiliated with immigration authorities or their application centres and will not be liable for loss or inconvenience arising from the use of this volatile information.
Travelstart does not provide advice or assist with processing visas. The content of this article is listed as recommended by research and the US embassy. Kindly check the embassy’s website BEFORE applying for your visa.